Friday, March 27, 2009

In Which I Invent A New Drink

.

Brace yourselves! I was in Penzey's the other day and discovered that they sell juniper berries. Reasoning (correctly as it turns out) that a couple of them would bring out the juniper flavor of gin, I brought home a four ounce bottle and promptly created a new variant on the martini.

I call it -- for obvious reasons -- THE COMEDIAN!

Here's the recipe:

Comedian

Six parts gin

One part Noilly Pratt dry vermouth

Two juniper berries

One crescent slice of lemon peel

Shake with ice and serve stingingly cold.
Be aware, however, that Noilly Pratt has recently changed their formula, turning the dry vermouth that was legendary for its compatibility with the martini into just another aperitif. Be sure to get the real stuff -- Noilly Pratt classic.

To the right: The Comedian expresses his opinion of Noilly Pratt's meddling with perfection.

*

7 comments:

Christopher Fletcher said...

This is just more evidence that you, Mr. Swanwick, rule. Have you considered getting on Twitter? I just told the Twitterati that you ought to be there.

Christopher Fletcher said...

This is just more evidence that you, Mr. Swanwick, rule. Have you considered getting on Twitter? I just told the Twitterati that you ought to be there.

Michael Swanwick said...

For breakfast today I had cream cheese and lox on a poppy seed bagel. At the bagel shopt I asked for ten poppy seed and two everything bagels. "I'm out of everything," the baker said, and for a second I thought he was joking.

Michael Swanwick said...

Whoops! Too long for Twitter.

I'm afraid I'm just too long-winded for the medium.

Michael Swanwick said...

Twitterati is a great word, though.

David Stone said...

Needs a splash or two of grenadine for color.

JJM said...

Writing long-windedly is easy.

Writing concisely in 140 characters or less can be an art form.

I keep hoping someone will start Scheherazading a story using Twitter, with links to websites / blogs / whatever. It could prove interesting but would take lots of careful planning.