Thursday, April 28, 2011

Scribbledehobbledehoyden: The Magpie's Eye: Page 81

.



"God's Own Martini"
An earthly martini is comprised of gin (never vodka!), vermouth, and a dash of bitters.  A celestial martini is compiled from raw experience, human warmth, and a dash of suffering.  Drink down the one and then the other.  Which do you prefer?  A

I have no idea why I abandoned that so abruptly.  The title was great!  And the illo of a "happy martini" was pleasantly pixilated.

Down at the bottom was a first draft for a business-related letter.  It's censored for privacy, but that's all.  Nothing scandalous, alas.  I appear to lead a disappointingly respectable life.  How on earth could that have ever happened to the young rapscallion I once was?

*

2 comments:

HANNAH'S DAD said...

Posting in the most recent thread because the relevant one is lost in the mists of time:

A while ago you wrote in defence of ornate story titles. In a discussion of the 1980s Hugos over on tor.com I've just found mention of

""You're Welcome," Said the Robot, and Turned to Watch the Snowflakes."
(Alan Ryan, F&SF)

I think that's pretty good.

Michael Swanwick said...

I agree entirely. Terrific title. It would make me read the first page, anyway, and that's half the battle.