Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The Collected Poetry of Michael Swanwick

.
As always, I'm on the road again.  And my iPad is dying.  So I shan't even try to come up with an illo for this post.

Over on Facebook, the other day, my friend Mario posted a picture of a nudibranch and the first several comments scanned, so I tied them together into a piece of doggerel.

"Marianne should collect your poetry," Mario wrote.

"There's an idea," Marianne responded.

"No, there isn't," I typed sternly.

So, as a preemptive move, I am publishing here the complete contents of my poetic oeuvre.  To whit:

Why should I buy comparative
And thus pay twice the price,
When the simple and declarative
Quite amply will suffice?

I will not buy a porringer
When all I need's a porring.
Now will I spring for oranger
When all I need's an orange.

That's my contribution to world poesy:  a rhyme for orange.  A small accomplisment, but mine own.

And so I retired from the lists undefeated.

.

2 comments:

HWW said...

May we print that letterpress in a fine broadside, sir ?

Michael Swanwick said...

It would be my pleasure.